Where We Minister
“Prepared for Every Good Work.”
This motto for Norbertines echoes our centuries-old tradition, which strives to maintain a balance between contemplation (living together in community) and action (engaging in apostolic service). While sharing common table, prayer, and Eucharist, we are also involved in a variety of external ministries.
As stated in the mission of St. Norbert Abbey, “We give ourselves in service to one another and to people in need, with special emphasis on service and advocacy for the poor. We commit ourselves to our traditional ministries, while being open to new apostolates.”
- The Gift of Presence
By Frater Patrick LaPacz, O. Praem.
- Religious Life is a Full Life / La Vida Religiosa–Una Vida Plena
By Fr. John Bostwick, O. Praem. | Translated by Sr. Guadalupe Muñoz, RGS
Spring/Summer 2017 (pages 2-3)
Frater Jordan Neeck, O. Praem., and Frater Johnathan Turba, O. Praem., are co-hosts of St. Norbert Abbey’s biweekly podcast, Canons on the Run. In episode 010, compellingly and with a bit of humor, they discuss what exactly these years are like, and how men grow in faith and in community during this critical time.
Apostolates founded or assumed by the Norbertine Order that are sponsored by St. Norbert Abbey include:
- Norbertine Volunteer Community
- The Shrine of St. Joseph
- St. Willebrord Parish
- Holy Cross Parish Family
- Priory of St. Moses the Black
- Immaculate Conception Mission
- Santa Clotilde Medical Mission
Founded in 1963, the Norbertine Community of St. Norbert Abbey recently celebrated its 50th anniversary of serving this mission in South America. Read more about the Peruvian medical ministry of Rev. Dr. Jack MacCarthy, O. Praem., in the Fall/Winter 2013 issue of Abbey Magazine (pages 4-9), and learn about the Peruvian American Partnership, an NGO working to establish sustainable health care in the Napo River region of Peru.
Norbertine Educational Apostolates
Celebrating Catholic Schools Week January 28-February 3, 2018
Teaching by Word and Example
The Norbertine Community of St. Norbert Abbey takes pride in offering a Catholic-Norbertine education at these apostolates that not only educates the human mind, but also affirms the sacred Spirit.
- St. Norbert College
- Notre Dame de la Baie Academy
- Holy Cross Catholic School
Norbertine outreach initiatives include advocacy to local and global apostolates and charities. St. Norbert Abbey partners with and offers its resources to neighborhood institutions of interest to the Norbertine community, including:
- Boys & Girls Club of Green Bay
- Brown County Jail Ministries
- Casa ALBA Melanie Hispanic Community Resource Center for Green Bay (Casa ALBA Melanie)
- CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children of Brown County, Inc.
- De Pere Christian Outreach Food Pantry, located at St. Anne’s Episcopal Church
- Family Strengthening Program
- Golden House
- Green Bay Correctional Institution Catholic Ministries
- House of Hope
- Howe Neighborhood Family Resource Center
- Literacy Green Bay
- Love Life Ministry
- Paul’s Pantry
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul
- St. John the Evangelist Homeless Shelter
- St. Patrick Food Pantry
- Three Corners Neighborhood Community Garden project
- Welcome Home Program