Spiritual Direction at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality
We live in a culture that discourages us from paying attention to the soul or the true self and when we fail to pay attention we end up living soulless lives.
Are you being led to something deeper?
- How can spiritual direction be helpful?
- What is spiritual direction?
- Is spiritual direction the same as counseling?
- What do I talk about in spiritual direction?
- What do I look for in a spiritual director?
- How often do we meet?
- Is there a monetary fee?
- “Spiritual Direction” at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality (page 14)
1. How can spiritual direction be helpful?
Spiritual direction can be helpful when …
- you desire to become a better person.
- you seem to be “stuck” on your spiritual journey.
- you feel a void in your relationship with God, others, and yourself.
- you are trying to make an important life decision.
2. What is spiritual direction?
Spiritual direction is a one-to-one meeting with a trained spiritual director providing the opportunity to grow in an awareness of God’s movements within yourself.
3. Is spiritual direction the same as counseling?
No. In general, counseling deals primarily with problems regarding your life and attempts to bring resolution to such issues. Problem-solving or issue-solving is not the focus of spiritual direction.
Spiritual direction is not psychotherapy or a theological debate. The overall purpose of spiritual direction is to help you grow in a deeper personal relationship with God. Spiritual direction helps you pay attention to God’s personal communication with you.
4. What do I talk about in spiritual direction?
Whatever you want! For example:
- How are you dealing with the events of everyday life?
- How do you experience God?
- What is consuming your energy?
- What is God asking of you?
- Are there issues or obstacles that interfere with your spiritual growth, such as forgiveness, guilt, broken relationships, or illness?
5. What do I look for in a spiritual director?
Spiritual directors are faithful men and women who have received extensive training in spiritual direction. It is important that they …
- listen objectively and allow you to look at your life no matter where you are.
- help you recognize the presence of God in your everyday life.
- attend to their own spiritual and professional growth.
6. How often do we meet?
The average meeting time for spiritual direction is once a month for one hour. Some people prefer to meet more frequently; others prefer to meet less often. The frequency is something you decide with your spiritual director.
7. Is there a monetary fee?
The suggested fee is $40 per session. However, money is not meant to be an obstacle on the spiritual direction journey. Anyone who seeks spiritual direction should be able to receive it. The Norbertine Center for Spirituality will accept a donation within your means should you be unable to pay the suggested fee.